Development – Creating my Site

Starting a site off is always the hard part, there is always a place to start though, and that place for me was themehunting. As I already knew I wanted to use WordPress as my platform, I chose to use Themeforest to find the theme that suits my site design the best. The themes I liked are listed below:
Salient
Newave
Ego
Alfa
Alpine
T-Two
Cobra
Phoenix
X
In the end after MUCH deliberation, I decided to go with Salient.
Though this may seem like a bad/obvious choice, I chose it because of it’s customizability and the fact that it has fully functional Parallax and Video Sliders.

When I first started my website, I wanted to have a horizontal scrolling site composed of digital painted mountains that move parallax to each other to create a small scene. Needless to say this went out of the window when I figured out I could put a video slider in instead. A lot of development went into this theory and I even began trying (possibly failing haha) to make the sky in the post below V
http://georgiamay.co.uk/shading-practice-sunset/
Brainfart.jpg

I used a lot of what I did above to form the menu bar and site layout minus the parallax scrolling part. Below you can see I began working on the menu bar etc.

The main reason I discarded the idea was because I am an amateur  designer and I thought something simpler could be just as effective – turns out I was correct.

Brainfart 2.jpgSO, let us begin with the salient design I stuck to. The beginnings of the site were drab, to say the least. At this time I thought I wanted the colour scheme to be pink so I took a colour sample for an image I was planning to use and figured out that appearance – colour changed the colours of text, links etc.

It was then when I realised that I didn’t want this website to be a repeat of my last site that… to say the least wasn’t up to my current standards today. I have some screenshots of my own website to show what I mean –

Rather girly and not in the slightest bit a “designers style” website.
On that thought I began creating the initial skeleton of my site – the bones so to speak. Heading into the menu “pages” I began to create all the pages for my menu bar.
Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 20.29.24.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 13.25.06.png
The result is as shown above… a rather pink version of it nonetheless. The look of the menu bar once completed compelled me to take to google fonts and find a font that would suit my tastes and go with the look I was planning for my site.
The font I decided to go with was Fjilla for the slider.

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 13.22.44.png


Above is me playing around with the full-width layer slider I was so excited about. I discovered that you can add buttons, text of various sizes and even have moving text blocks. I however want just a simple looking video with a static overlay of my name and a tagline – yet to be decided. I’m super happy s far that my video embed has gone so well.

Please continue to the next post for more development! ^^

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s