After acquiring the photographs of the Square outside the Crucible and the Peace Gardens, it was time to take many photographs of my finished maquette from different angles, I have left a few below for you to see.
These are taken by a studio quality DSLR (the Canon 60D) however I found that because the setting for my structure was outside in the harsh, natural lighting this couldn’t be recreated correctly within the fluorescent environment of a studio.
Once I had decided on the correct angle & photo, I decided to start cutting out the shape of my maquette structure which, as I was expecting, proved to be quite complicated.
I start by taking the pen tool and tracing around the shape I want to cut out. After converting the path to ‘dancing ants’ I can Select -> Modify -> Feather, to which I place a feather radius of just 0.2 – 1 to smoothen the edges a little bit. I can then proceed to press delete.
Basically this is the process I repeated for every separate segment of the maquette, including between the wires. I wasn’t too careful with the wooden podium because it is simply a stand for the sculpture and will later be taken away.
After 4 hours of cutting out in Photoshop, the heart was cut out and ready to be dropped into it’s background, which is the next step.
SO after dropping the cut out layer of my maquette into the background of the Peace Gardens Square, I altered the perspective via Edit -> Transform -> Perspective as you can see in the first picture. After I had scaled the structure to the size I liked using Free Transform, I duplicated the layer by right clicking on it. I altered the darkness with the slider until it was a black outline of my maquette using cmd+U. I then selected Filter -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur to feather the whole silhouette before changing the opacity with the slider above the layers. The next step was to create two of these shadow layers and spread them to create what would be the realistic placement of the shadow.
Once I used the Perspective Warp on the shadow I placed on the wall, I used the Eraser tool to rub out the parts that has overlapped to the sky.
I then used the perspective warp to make the base look like it was larger at the base then the top.
From there on I simply selected many areas using the lasso tool before feathering them and adjusting them according to where the light would hit, ect. You can see above some of the techniques I used.
And here is the final product! This took around 6 hours of editing, though I am really happy with the outcome!